FAQ – When and Why does Lake Barrington Shores Repair Roadside Damage? ****DRAFT#2****
Evils of Buckthorn
INFORMATION FOR OUR OWNERS:
One of our major springtime landscape activities is the repair of the damaged turf along the roadsides here at Lake Barrington Shores (LBS). Each winter season brings us varying degrees of snow and ice to contend with. Much of our turf repair is tied to the snow removal operations for LBS. Our roads were built with no concrete curbs, and as such, a severe and snowy winter can often lead to a challenging season of snow removal as well.
Another significant and year-round cause of roadside turf damage at LBS is careless driving. The turf adjacent to many of our corners and cul-de-sacs fall victim to trucks and other vehicles create ruts when they drive off of our curbless roads.
Each year these problems generate many calls to the Management Office, and starting in April, as soon as the weather breaks, our landscape contractors inspect the entire site to repair damaged areas with topsoil and seed.
LBS residents should be assured that the Landscape Commission is committed to keeping these annual repair costs to a minimum, while still maintaining the turfgrass in a way that is satisfactory to the community. Over the years this Commission has explored and implemented ways to reduce future damage to roadside turf.
Residents can help by:
· Replacing any chunks of turf into the place they were torn from.
· Light and regular watering of new grass seed if seen near your unit.
· Not driving or parking on turf on roadsides. Our guests may need a reminder too!
· Not using excessive amounts of salt on walkways.
· Reporting to the Management Office damage caused by visiting trucks, etc. throughout the year.